Automattic has released Jetpack 3.1 with a new logo and a couple of new features. New features include responsive videos, custom post types and an updated admin interface. The update also comes with new API endpoints for the JSON API module, so there’s new functionality for theme and plugin developers. Jetpack just keeps growing and growing, so let’s take a look at some of the features and how to incorporate them into your site. After activation, you should see the following screen:
Custom Post Types (Portfolio)
Jetpack 3.1 comes with the Custom Post Types module. To activate the new feature, just look for the menu:
Just click on Settings and you should be sent to the Module Activation/Deactivation screen:
Just make sure that Custom Content Types is activated (blue highlight). You should now be able to see two options. Click on Configure.
You will be brought to the Writing screen, you can find the Custom Content Types options at the bottom. Unfortunately, at this time of this writing, portfolio is the only content type available.
After the plugin has been activated, all you need to do is use the following shortcode into your post or page:
You can use the following attributes to customize the display:
- ‘display_types’: display Project Types. (true/false)
- ‘display_tags’: display Project Tags. (true/false)
- ‘display_content’: display project content. (true/false)
- ‘include_type’: display specific Project Types. Defaults to all. (comma-separated list of Project Type slugs)
- ‘include_tag’: display specific Project Tags. Defaults to all. (comma-separated list of Project Tag slugs)
- ‘columns’: number of columns in shortcode. Defaults to 2. (number, 1-6)
- ‘showposts’: number of projects to display. Defaults to all. (number)
[portfolio display_type=true display_tags=true columns=4 showposts=8]
This shortcode will display the type, tags, and will show a total of 8 posts in 4 columns.
Responsive videos are extremely simple to add into your theme(s), just add this to your functions.php file:
<?php add_theme_support( 'jetpack-responsive-videos' ); ?>
There is no additional coding needed because everything should work right out of the box.
For theme developers, there some new endpoints that you can use to interact with the JSON API module. You can test them out here.
Finally, here are some of the bug fixes:
- Bug Fix: Contact Form: Prefix function to avoid conflicts with other plugins.
- Bug Fix: Custom CSS: Admin UI has a responsive layout.
- Bug Fix: Custom CSS: Custom $content_width value doesn’t overwrite theme’s $content_width.
- Bug Fix: Contact Form: Feedback link takes you to the form page.
- Bug Fix: Carousel: Confirms an avatar is returned by get_avatar before displaying.
- Bug Fix: Featured Content: Don’t remove setting validation.
- Bug Fix: Infinite Scroll: Google Universal Analytics support added.
- Bug Fix: Multisite: Add message when updating multisite settings.
- Bug Fix: Photon: Photon will no longer upscale images larger than the original size.
- Bug Fix: Photon: Check that the image exists before rewriting the image URL to utilize Photon.
- Bug Fix: Sharing: Pinterest adds attribute to display share count.
- Bug Fix: Sharing: Respect an empty sharing title.
- Bug Fix: Sharing: Share buttons now appear in the bbPress forms.
- Bug Fix: Sharing: Support for multiple meta html tag og:image values.
- Bug Fix: Single Sign On: Logout allows override of forcing Single Sign On.
- Bug Fix: Single Sign On: Remove the lost password link on auto-forward logout.
- Bug Fix: Social Links: Do not use anonymous function for compatibility with PHP 5.2.
- Bug Fix: Tiled Galleries: Update jQuery mouseover caption effect to reduce flickering.
- Bug Fix: Widgets Visibility: Works better in the customizer admin view.